Tuesday, 14 June 2016

Keel Beautiful Keel

Cars packed we've narrowed down a laundry basket full of toys and a box full of toys to two neat backs packs.
 Tent  - check
Sleeping bags - check
sun cream  - check
midgie spray - check

And we're off, but where to?  It being the June bank holiday and you not being able to book camp sites in advance the frantic phone calls start, but alas if we can make it to Achill before 1 o'clock we are guaranteed a spot,     GO GO GO . . .

We arrive and the wrestle with the tent begins it only takes us half an hour to put it up, hubby is next to useless, note for next time just put it up alone I'd have it done in half the time.  No pegs don't go in that way there suppose to hold the guide wires; quay lots of sighing!  The "help" also from the 3 and 5 year old was truly invaluable ; quay more sighing and added heavy breathing.  Once all is up and our home for the next two days is sorted I take a step back and take in Keel Sandybanks Caravan and Camping Park ; stunning truly stunning. I'm Irish and I take for granted how beautiful Ireland is there's beach, mountains, green, lakes, sand dunes oh and a circus tent around me breath taking!
       

I was quickly taken out of my tranquil state with request to head to the beach so swim suits on and off we went.  I kid you not but the water was warm, I'm still investing in a wet suit but I was refreshed from my dip in the ocean. Mini Miss and Little Red Head loved it jumping over waves and chancing them to the shore.  Tired out for the whole of five minuets we headed back for food, which featured alot on our camping trip.
We headed on this trip on a very tight budget we spent €42 for camping for two nights then for the food I raided the cupboards at home and filled my many many little containers with food.  I brought our camping stove and on the first night we had spag bol which I cooked at home the previous day and the second evening we had burgers and sausages.  For lunch we had sambos and yogurts and through out the day we had the usual snacks and lots of fruit.  As a treat on one of the days the kids got chicken nuggets, outside the camp side there was a chip van and myself and hubby got soup and of course there was the ice cream van.  In total we spent €30 on food/snacks while in Achill.

Sandybanks Caravan and Camping Park itself is an excellent facility clean welcoming great access to the beach and lots to do there.  On the Saturday night I went over to the toilet blocks and one of the soap dispensers was empty and I thought to myself 'ah that wouldn't be filled now for the rest of the weekend' well I ate my words the following morning, soap dispenser was full again and at no stage were the toilets dirty but they were always busy.  The kitchen facilities were very good fridge filled to the brim but you'll always have that bins were always clean and the kitchen itself clean and tidy.  We didn't use the showers as there was an outdoor one just at the gate when you came in from the beach, but I sneaked a peak a few times and they were always clean.  There was a great entertainment room for the kids catering for baby to teen.  My two had great fun playing the air hockey at only €1 a game and chilling out watching the movie on the tv and of course no trip away would be complete without a playground my two had hours of fun here.


There favorite place was still the beach . . . 




Fresh air is great for the soul and great for putting the kids to sleep, one of my favorite things on camp was chilling at night with hubby playing card and having a drink you just cant beat sitting in the outdoors being eaten by the midgets and having a laugh over my lack of my ability to play 21.  On a serious note we found the citronella sticks great for keeping the midgies away.
Nothing but Class all the way - Rosa in a plastic cup
#classybird
On our last night I introduced the kids and hubby to smores, they had more fun making them than eating them . . .
I love camping and as many of you know I'm a Girl Guide and I'm camping since I was a tot with my Mam when she was a Guide.  Sharing these experiences with my hubby and kids is something money can't buy, I can't wait for more camping adventures and we'll definitely be back to Keel, Achill as there is so much we didn't do kayaking on the lake, visit the new aquarium go on the many walk and so much more.
All packed up and time for home