Monday, 27 June 2016

Stare - Shame

Have you ever noticed someone looking at you or even staring at you?

I'm an adult so at least if I feel uncomfortable, I can move away, give a look back or say something, but what if you can't speak or don't realize that the stares are aimed at you . . .

I've worked in an area where staring is all people do but if you catch their eyes while they stare they'll quickly look away in shame.  When I worked with amazing individual children and adults and I'd catch a look I'd just hope it was only me that caught the look and not the special kind-hearted child or adult in my care. I'm also a Mammy currently of a typical three year old and I've thread these boards before.  So I've seen the side glances, heard the hushed remarks, but honestly I take them all with a pinch of salt. Frankly if the noise of my three year old screaming over a toy she cant have is annoying you; move away.  
I understand we're all guilty of staring at the unusual, hands up I've done it but I've tacked, I look at the beautiful the strange.  If my children ask a question about someone or something that may to them look different, I'll explain it to them or if I need to I'll ask the person themselves how they would like me to explain.
OK so why am I talking about this?

I innocently bought these dummies for Mini Miss recently in Dealz for €1.49 I thought the were funny and herself thought they were so cute.  Little did I realize the stares my little girl would get.  We walked around Galway city for the day and when Mini Miss was in her buggy she had the dummy with the moustache in her mouth most of the time, it had being a late night the previous night.  As we meandered around the shops more and more we noticed people staring sometimes some would say ah that's so funny or love it; both fine.  But when they stared in at Mini Miss she'd grunt and hide into her buggy, granted she was a bit cranky but the fact she had to turn her face away indicated the person had being starring to long.  One man in a shop, a charity shop came out form behind the counter to see what was on her face he said to me what's that?  What if my child had some kind of permanent mark on her face, I was stunned to think he came out from behind the counter to look into my child's buggy.



People please have some sense we are all different and beautiful in our own unique way, so yes it was only a fun dummy this time but next time you stare it may be what makes that person, it may just be part of them like your freckles, your hair, your eyes, your thin lips, your big lips, curve no curves, YOU, beautiful individual flawed you!