Friday, 21 July 2017

No Uniform


My son goes to a non uniform school . . . 
I know I can hear alot of you going 'oh no, uniforms all the way'?
Well I disagree!  Why . . .
My son's school has no uniform as part of the belief, teaching and the ethos carried out throughout the school -  we are all individuals and should be allowed express ourselves.  Yes OK our clothes don't define us but a child more comfortable will sit and learn better.
The alternative in most schools -  stiff uncomfortable shirts, trousers they can't move in,  skirts that inhibit their playing, ties and heavy itchy jumpers and cardigans.  No my son gets to wear comfy tracksuit bottoms, t-shirt and a hoodie.

No I don't have more washing why would I?  Just like a uniformed child he gets more than one day out of his clothes and I have less washing because when he gets home from school he stays in the same outfit.  Unlike a uniformed child who you have to instruct to change out of their uniform straight away, because goodness what if it gets dirty and the second pinafore/pants you have aren't dry yet, Drama!!  And I also don't have the dreaded uniform race - you know the whole thing of get the uniform into the washing machine on Friday get it dried and ironed by Sunday night, i'm tired just writing about the whole pa-lava.

No it doesn't cost me more, it cost me less if anything because the clothes my son wears during school he wears at home after school and at the weekend he wears his jeans , with a t-shirt and hoodie.  Just like most people I buy the bits and pieces for school in the summer months so for example in Lidl this week I bought the tracksuit bottoms for €3.49, bargain and when there is sales on in other places I pick up t-shirts, hoodies, vest etc.


No, there isn't an issue with bullying and when I was researching schools this was one of the questions I specifically asked.  It doesn't matter if my sons runners are Nike or Dunnes, the children are thought that everyone is individual and not every family may have the same money to spend on certain big named brands.  Honestly its not an issue and I was assured and know this to be true that if something did come up it would b dealt with in a teaching way.

So not convinced then that's OK, just think of me on a Sunday evening when your pulling out that soaked uniform wondering how your going to get it dry for the morning,  I'll be sipping my tea happily once I've pulled something out of the wardrobe.